It was announced today that the new GP3 racing series has secured a broadcast partner with MotorsTV UK Channel.
The broadcasts will be found on Sky Channel 413 and Virgin Media 545 in the form of a highlights package, but it has yet to be announced who will present the coverage.
The new junior formula, which was conceived as a cheaper alternative to the long running Formula 3 formula, has its inaugural event at the upcoming Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona on May 8th as a support race to Formula 1. The Championship will play a supporting role to several other European rounds of the 2010 F1 season, as well as an event taking place in Portimao as the lead-in to the GP2 stand-alone event at the Portuguese circuit.
Featuring eight weekend events, the series will conclude at Monza on September 12th and will follow an identical format to the current GP2 series – the weekend will open with a feature event based on an earlier qualifying run, with a sprint race the following morning.
The full calendar is as follows:
- May 8th – 9th; Barcelona (Spain)
- June 19th – 20th; Portimao (Portugal)
- June 26th – 27th; Valencia (Spain)
- July 10th – 11th; Silverstone (UK)
- July 24th – 25th; Hockenheimring (Germany)
- July 31st – August 1st; Budapest (Hungary)
- August 28th – 29th; Spa-Francorchamps (Belgium)
- September 11th – 12th; Monza (Italy)